Houston High School ~ Home of the Hurricanes
A 2014 U.S. News and World Report Gold Medal School
306 W. Elm St., Houston, MN 55943 • Phone: 507-896-5323 option 1 • Fax: 507-896-4665
The HHS Spiral Bands of Success:
Dedicated • Encouraging • Safe • Community
Continue to 'strengthen the Hurricane' over summer break!
At the high school there is not a specific supply list. Students can choose the school supplies that work best for them to be organized and successful in class. Some students like to use a 5-subject notebook or zippered binder while others like to color code folders and notebooks for individual subjects. It is really based on personal preference. Students should plan to have supplies for 6 classes, as most have a music class or study hall in their 7-period day. Teachers will give instruction the first week of school if any additional items are needed for a particular class.
• 7th and 8th graders will receive an assignment notebook the first week of school.
• All textbooks issued to students must be covered with book covers, either purchased or homemade.
Calling all Athletes
Remember! Before you are eligible to start practice you need to have the following completed:
• Current sports physical on file with the high school office* (good for 3 years)
• MSHSL Eligibility Statement & Health Questionnaireon on file* (both sides signed by parent and athlete)
• User fee paid: $60 for grades 7-8 • $70 for grades 9-12 • $200 family max per school year
*Forms are available from district website: Home > Schools > High School > High School Office > Look to left menu bar
Need Hurricane Gear?
Click on the banner at the bottom of this page for the Hurricanes Online Store. There are many items to choose from for yourself or for a gift. Not sure what to get? Gift Certificates are also available!
A 2014 U.S. News and World Report Gold Medal School!
We are extremely proud to announce that Houston High School has been honored by U.S. News and World Report as a Gold Medal School for 2014! We were ranked 3rd in the state of Minnesota and of the 19,411 public high schools included in the national ranking, HHS placed 308th! WOW! Among other things, rankings are based on college readiness, test scores, and participation and success in Advance Placement (AP) classes. In addition, the comprehensive ranking methodology “is based on the key principles that a great high school must serve all of its students well, not just those who are college bound, and that it must be able to produce measurable academic outcomes to show the school is successfully educating its student body across a range of performance indicators.”
In addition, Summit Learning Center, Houston’s alternative learning center, was awarded a Bronze medal…a feat that is almost unheard of from an area learning center. The students, staff, and community should be very proud of these distinguished awards. Log on to http://www.usnews.com/education for detailed information.
Mark Your Calendar...
• Mon 8/4: Football practice starts grades 9-12
• Mon 8/11: CORRECTION: Volleyball practice starts for grades 9-12
• Mon 8/11: Football practice starts for grades 7-8
• Mon 8/18: CORRECTION: Volleyball practice starts for grades 7-8
• Tues 8/19: 7th grade and New Student Orientation, 7pm
• Thurs 8/21: First varsity VB game of the season, Houston @ Lyle-Pacelli, 7pm
• Thurs 8/21: First varsity Boys' Soccer match of the season, Caledonia-Houston home (in Cal.) vs. Holmen, 7pm
• Fri 8/22: First varsity FB game of the season, Houston home vs. LeRoy-Ostrander, 7pm
• Tues 9/2: First day of school
• Tues 9/9: Picture Day
• Mon 9/29 - Sat 10/4: Homecoming Week
Check the website calendar for more information as well as other events/opportunities.