306 West Elm Street
Houston, MN 55943
Current News [News Archive]
- Tina Barness named Minnesota School Counselors Association (MSCA) Elementary Counselor of the Year. She can now be nominated for the national award!
- MNVA Student Rebecca R. Named Winner of Nation-wide Academic Sprint Spring Contest
- Houston Robotics Team Selected for Alliance
- Houston Public School District has received the Minnesota Department of Education 2015 School Finance Award.
- Jacqueline Mathers selected to participate in the Teaching with Primary Sources program which is sponsored by the Library of Congress and the National Archives.
- Houston Elementary School earned Rewards School status all four years the award has been given. Only 20 schools in the state have achieved this feat.
- Houston Preschool earned the 4-Star Parent Aware status, which qualifies for state-funded scholarships. (See note below.)
- Kiel Koehler won second place in the Miller Ingenuity Competition. He used the majority of his winnings to purchase Lego robots to expose all seventh grade students to the technology and engineering skills associated with building and operating the robots. These robots were delivered to Houston High on Friday, March 6.
- Kiel Koehler also was awarded the grant for a classroom set of desktop computers.
- Erica Upton-Wurst received the Breaking Barriers Award this fall.
- Tina Barness was named the Southeast Minnesota Elementary School Counselor of the Year. She is now in the running for the statewide award.
- Houston Junior High Knowledge Bowl Team 1 earned top honors at the regional Knowledge Bowl meet in January.
- The one-act play placed third at the Sub-Section 1A meet, just missing a chance to advance to Sections.
- Successfully completed the Office of Civil Rights review.
- Houston High School was named a 2014 Gold Medal School by US News and World Report. Houston High ranked third out of all the schools in Minnesota and 308th nationally.
- Summit Learning Center was named a 2014 Bronze Medal School by US News and World Report.
- Houston Elem/ MS FLL Robotics team Knit Wits placed second overall in head-to-head competition and won the Core Values award for their encouraging and polite behavior.
Young Writers' Conference Inspires Houston Elementary Students “The Young Writers’ Conference provides students the opportunity to work with recognized authors, writers, songwriters, illustrators, and other professional communicators to support and develop their interests and talents in writing. This conference is for all students who like to write and express themselves creatively.”
Houston Elementary students in grades 3-5 attended the Young Writers' Conference on Thursday, May 14th, and Houston Elementary 6th graders attended the conference on Friday, May 15th.
The conference took place at Winona State, and all students enjoyed the conference and came back to school excited about writing and filled with ideas. See more pictures and read full article... Arlin “Pete” Peterson Named to Minnesota Fastpitch Coaches’ Association Hall of Fame
Former Houston High School Fastpitch Softball Coach Arlin “Pete” Peterson was recently announced as a member of the 2015 class of inductees to the Minnesota Fastpitch Coaches’ Association Hall of Fame. Coach Peterson does not know who nominated him; however, to be nominated a coach needed to meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Coached a minimum of fifteen years as a head or assistant coach.
- Coached a state champion team or state runner up team.
- Made a significant contribution to Minnesota Fastpitch Coaches Association and/or Minnesota Fastpitch Softball.
- Is a positive community member.
Coach Peterson coached softball for twenty-five years, coached a team to a sixth place finish at state, made multiple contributions to Fastpitch Softball and remains a positive community member in Houston. Coach Peterson not only met but also exceeded the criteria.
In Southeastern Minnesota, only two other coaches (one from Southland and one from Zumbrota) have been inducted into the Hall of Fame in previous years. Houston High School and the girls on the softball teams were fortunate to have a coach the caliber of Arlin “Pete” Peterson for twenty-five years. Congratulations!
Spring Music at Houston Public Schools
5th and 6th Grade Band & Vocal Concert: Tuesday, May 26 @ 7:00 PM. Matinee @ 2:00 p.m.
High School Vocal Music: Spring Choir Concert featuring our Jr. and Sr. High Choirs on Sunday, May 31, 2015 at Cross of Christ Church, 7:00 p.m. 2015 All Conference Track Athletes
Congratulations to the following track athletes who earned all-conference on Saturday, May 9, 2015, at the Three Rivers Conference Championships:
Houston’s Trevor (discus), Sam (shot put), Jordyn (discus), Anna (earned all-conference on total points). R-P’s Noah earned all-conference in the long jump and triple jump, while Jordan and Ashley earned all-conference in the pole vault and long jump, respectively.
Read full article...
Pictured Left to Right: Trevor, Sam, Jordyn, Anna (not pictured R-P’s Noah, Jordan, and Ashley)
Wrestling Rookie of the Year
Congratulations to Houston freshman Zach who made the All-Conference wrestling team in the Three Rivers Conference!
Houston Wrestling is a cooperative between Caledonia High School and Houston High School, and Zach was the only Houston wrestler to get All Conference for the season. This is a terrific accomplishment as it is not easy making all conference as a freshman!
Zach went 29-9 for the official season and had the most takedowns on the team at 67. He was also named Rookie of the Year.
image used with permission from the Caledonia Argus Read full article...
At School Event and Activity Calendar - click on the event to see the event details